- Ph.D. University of Chicago, 1999
- M.A.T. University of Chicago, 1976
- Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC, 1975
- The teaching of writing
- The teaching of literature/reading
- Classroom discourse
- Teacher preparation
- Professional Development
- The Dynamics of Writing Instruction. Smagorinksy, P., Johannessen, L., Kahn, E., and McCann, T., Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann, 2010.
- Writing About Literature (2nd Edition, Revised and Updated). Johannessen, L., Kahn, E., and Walter, C., Urbana, IL: NCTE, 2009.
- Talking in Class: Using Discussion to Enhance Teaching and Learning. McCann, T., Johannessen, L., Kahn, E., and Flanagan, J., Urbana, IL: NCTE, 2006.
- Reflective Teaching, Reflective Learning. McCann, T., Johannessen, L., Kahn, E., Smagorinsky, P., and Smith, M. (Eds.), Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann, 2005.
- “Teaching F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby.” In Ed. Milner, J. and Pope, C. Engaging American Novels: Lessons from the Classroom. Urbana, IL: NCTE, 2011.
- “Making Writing Instruction Authentic.” English Journal 98(5) 2009:15-17.
- “Thinking Critically about Words.” English Journal 97(4) 2008:14-15.