Office: RH 229
- Ph.D. University of Chicago; 1995
- M.A. Saint Xavier University, Chicago; 1982
- M.A. Southern Illinois University, Carbondale; 1980
- Teacher Preparation, The Teaching of Writing, Classroom Discourse, Induction and Mentoring of New Teachers
- Discussion Pathways to Literacy Learning. McCann, T.M., Kahn, E.A., and Walter, C.C. Urbana, IL: NCTE, 2018.
- Teaching on Solid Ground: Knowledge Foundations for the Teacher of English. McCann, T.M. and Knapp, J.V. New York, NY: Guilford Press, 2018 publication.
- Raise Your Voices: Inquiry, Discussion, and Literacy Learning. McCann, T.M., Bouque, A., Forde, D., Kahn, E.A., & Walter, C.C. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, in press for 2019 publication.
- “Talking and Knowing: The Importance of Discussion in the Writing Process.” Illinois English Bulletin, 103, 3 (Summer 2016), 7-20.
- “Fostering Authentic Science Writing through Shared Inquiry.” McCann, T., D’Angelo, R., Galas, N. & Greska, M. Voices from the Middle, 24, 2 (December 2016), 35-38.
- Literacy and History in Action: Immersive Approaches to Disciplinary Learning. McCann, T.M., D’Angelo, R., Galas, N., and Greska, M. New York, NY: Teachers College Press, 2015. Transforming Talk into Text: Argument Writing, Inquiry, and Discussion, Grades 6-12. New York, NY: Teachers College Press, 2014.
- Teaching Matters Most: A School Leader’s Guide to Improving Classroom Instruction. McCann, T., Jones, A.C. & Aronoff, G. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press, 2012.
- Teaching Students to Write Fictional Narratives. Smagorinsky, P., Johannessen, L.R., Kahn, E., & McCann, T. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann, 2012.
- Teaching Students to Write Argument. Smagorinsky, P., Johannessen, L.R., Kahn, E., & McCann, T. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann, 2011.
- The Dynamics of Writing Instruction: A Structured Process Approach for the Composition Teacher in the Middle and High School. Johannessen, L.R., Kahn, E., McCann, T. & Smagorinsky, P. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann, 2010.
- "Teaching English Together: Leadership Through Collaboration." McCann, T., Ressler, P., Chambers, P., and Minor, J. English Leadership Quarterly 33.2(2010): 10-13.
- With A.C. Jones and G. Aronoff. "Truths Hidden in Plain View." Phi Delta Kappan, October 2010.
- "A Modest Revolution on the Teaching of English." Illinois English Bulletin, Summer 2010.
- "Gateways to Writing Logical Arguments." English Journal 99.6 (July 2010): 33-39.