English News and Accolades
- Jeff Einboden was recently awarded the President Research, Scholarship and Artistry Professor and Tim Ryan was awarded the Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award.
- Nicole Clifton has a new publication titled "Anthony Foster of Trotton and London, Lincoln's Inn MS 150," from the Yearbook of Langland Studies 32 (2018), 77-126. Read the abstract.
- Joe Bonomo has a new book out titled No Place I would Rather Be: Roger Angell and a Life of Baseball Writing, from University of Nebraska Press.
- Jeff Einboden has been awarded NIU's Presidential Research and Scholarship Award.
- Tim Ryan has received the 2019 Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award from the Committee for the Improvement of the Undergraduate Academic Experience.
- Professor Emeritus John D. Schaeffer's book titled Giambattista Vico on Natural Law: Rhetoric, Religion, and Sensus Communis, has been published by Newcastle UK: Cambridge Scholars Press, 2019.
- Doris Macdonald, a visiting Fulbright Scholar, is teaching in Indonesia. Read her blog.
- Melissa Adams-Campbell has a new book chapter out “At Home on the Prairie?: Black Hawk, Margaret Fuller, and American Indian Dispossession” in Migration and Modernity: the state of being stateless, 1650-1850. Eds. Juliet Shields and JoEllen DeLucia. (Edinburgh University Press, 2019.)
- Ryan Hibbett has published a new book titled Philip Larkin, Popular Culture, and the English Individual from Lexington Books.
- Doris Macdonald has received the Fulbright Specialist Award, Indonesia.
- Timothy Crowley's essay, "Sidney's Legal Patronage and the International Protestant Cause," was published in Renaissance Quarterly, December 2018.
- Cameron Simpson, an English major and English Student Ambassador, wrote a feature article for the NIU Libraries spring 2019 publication of "Founders Keepers"
- Mia Pidlaoan, an English major, published a piece titled "Video Game Controversy Sparks Meaningful Conversation" for WNIJNews
- Stonehouse, the new student-run academic journal housed in the English department, held a launch party for the first edition of the journal. The event was held in the Sky Room of Holmes Student Center.
- Anthony Salazar, an English graduate student, published an article titled "Clive Barker's Sacrament and the Future of Queer Lives during the AIDS Crisis" in the Journal of English Literature and Cultural Studies 2.2 (2019: 46-60.
- Former Ph.D. Abbey Zink has just been named as dean od Sam Houston State University’s College of Humanities and Social Sciences. She has had a distinguished career and continues to reflect well on our reputation turning out successful Ph.D.s
- Erika Sparby is a recent graduate of the PhD Program in the Department of English. Erika's doctoral dissertation has been recognized by the NIU Graduate Council as the most outstanding dissertation in the arts, humanities, social sciences, and education category in 2017-2018.
- Paul LubenKov, an NIU graduate, has published a new book titled Tap Dancing on the Razor's Edge. You can find out more about this publication by reviewing the publication flyer, the reading events flyer and the reading events schedule.
- Jennifer Fife is the 2018-2019 recipient of the Jr. Schriber Scholar Award from the Department of English!
- The following undergraduate students are the 2019-2020 scholarship/award winners in English:
- Orville and Adra Baker English Scholarship: Tiffany Mullins
- John C. and Judith M. Gurley Scholarship: Maria Gonzalez
- Rosalie Hewitt Scholarship in English: Katie Simpson
- Marjorie K. Winters Scholarship: Salina Cruz
- Lynne Waldeland Scholarship in English: Alex Buckwinkler and Brooke Lavite
- Orville Baker Essay Awards:
- First Place: Brooke Lavite, for “Kaufman’s Adaptation: A Marriage of Commerce and Art” (ENGL 300A, taught by Ryan Hibbett)
- Second Place: Robin Chandler for “Marriage Laws and Hypocrisy in Measure for Measure” (ENGL 407, taught by Tim Crowley)
- Third Place: Cameron Simpson for “Warm and Fuzzy Sisterhood: The Help, White Guilt, and Fundamental Misunderstandings of the Deep South” (ENGL 300A, taught by Ryan Hibbett)
- Richard H. Howland Poetry Writing Award: Anthony Blanco and Michael Miller
- Mike and Anne Malone Award for Short Fiction: Anthony Blanco for “The Marriage of Donnie Laroux”
- Jeannie A. Hainds Award for Teacher Licensure in English: cornelius Bellamy, Jon Bunte, Joshua Maurice, Caitlin O'Hara, and Zeus Williams
- David and Linda Nelson Endowed English Scholarship: Kristen Lookingland and Taylor Stamps
- Robert T. Self Award in Literature and Film: Martha Villagomez
- Charles W. Hagelman, Jr. Scholarship for Study in Oxford: Angel Alba, Alexa Blair, Alex Buckwinkler, Catherine Carter, Gwyneth Osterby and Kelsey Pann
- Exemplary Student Teacher Award: A.J. Lusk and Savanah Wylde
- Dean’s Award: Lenora Murphy
Northern Illinois University
Department of English
Reavis Hall, Room 215
DeKalb, IL 60115