English as a Second Language (ESL) Center
The ESL Center provides one-on-one tutoring and support for the ESL students of our community. We have one-hour sessions. You can sign up for sessions in the ESL Center, or by calling and scheduling an appointment. We usually work with our clients in conversation, pronunciation, written and verbal communication and American culture. We also provide support and practice for the Graduate Exemption Test (GET) and Speaking Proficiency English Assessment Kit (SPEAK) tests. Our tutors are experienced ESL/EFL TAs, instructors and professors from NIU.
Please call 815-753-6637, email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or come in to Reavis 306B to schedule an appointment.
We hope to be able to serve as many clients as possible with limited hours for tutoring. In order to meet the demands that ESL Center Clients have, we ask you to follow these policies:
- You may sign up for only ONE HOUR in any week.*(Please consult with your tutor to see if there is room in the schedule for additional visits in one week).
- You MUST provide a phone number each time you sign up.
- If you miss three sessions without letting us know 24 hours in advance, your future appointments will be cancelled and given to another client.
Thank you for your help in allowing us to assist as many clients as we can!
The ESL Center has a number of resources including a small library of books and materials. Please feel free to come by and use our library.
NIU Online Resources:
- http://www.niu.edu/isfo/ - NIU's International Student and Faculty Office
- http://www.writingtutorial.niu.edu/writingtutorial/ - NIU's site for writing assistance